Winter

Winter

Monday, January 28, 2008

Snow!

Pin It



Arriving home last night from a long drive, the last 40 miles of which was through snow - a rare occurance at sea level on the California coast - I was greeted by snow everywhere. Covering plants and trees, burying the winter garden, light, fluffy flakes of snow were falling as I walked up the pathway to the house. The holly tree and red Rhododendron were particularly noteworthy. The photos are unedited, taken with a flash around 7PM.

This morning as I write this, the snow is melting fast, water sluicing off the various roofs of our buildings making muddy puddles on the ground. Click here to see last year's snow. I'll have a snow photo from my trip here soon.






Copyright © 2006-2008, Raven Ridge Gardens. All rights reserved



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember having snow in Davis once and that was a rarity.
Anne

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! You know, I didin't know it snows in California. Hmmm...

Paz

Anonymous said...

I just came from your older snow posts and see that I made the same comments there. Okay. Now I know: It snows in California, too. ;-)

Paz

Christine said...

Hi Anne, I can only remember it snowing in Davis 3 or 4 times the entire time I was growing up there. We got a really good snow one year in Winters, just 12 miles to the west of Davis.

Hi Paz. I do remember your comment from last year. I think that many people equate California with Los Angeles in southern California. It definitely doesn't snow in LA, but even down there it snows in the mountains to the east.
Our Sierra Nevada mountain range gets snow every winter and supplies California with the water that makes us the "Golden State", i.e. agriculture. Little geography lesson. :)

Anonymous said...

Very interesting. Thanks for the lesson. ;-)

Paz