Winter

Winter

Sunday, January 02, 2011

It's a New Year - Welcome to 2011

Pin It

This, I am told, is an icebow:  a rainbow in a cloudless and rainless but none-the-less moisture-filled sky made possible by the sun refracting off ice crystals high in the troposphere.

The icebow sat over our area of northern California (and maybe auspiciously over the Trinidad Bay Bed & Breakfast) for more than 2 hours on Dec. 30th. It didn't move and it was mostly a rather ghostly white except for the few moments when the sun broke through a thin veil of clouds and lit the halo in a beautiful spectrum of colors.

I look for auspicious signs in nature. I delight in them.  Call me silly, I don't care, but even knowing the science of how rainbows occur, I think they're magical. And I think they portend good things to come.

Yesterday the clouds that have been hanging over our collective heads, raining buckets for several weeks, began to part, showing delicious patches of blue.

Today the the clouds are gone, the sky is blue as can be, the sun is bright, water droplets are glistening, making little rainbows everywhere I look.

And the Buddha who graces the pathway to our house is smiling in the sunshine.

All is right in my world.

I hope it is in yours.  Happy New Year.






© Copyright 2006-2011, Raven Ridge Gardens. All rights reserved.

7 comments:

Sylvia K said...

Fantastic capture! Amazing information, thanks for that, too! I do hope your new year is off to a great start! Wishing you lots of love and laughter and beautiful flowers and skies!!

Sylvia

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I like the smiling Budha. Happy New Year!

Paz xoxoxoxxoxo

Spadoman said...

This is awesome. I've never seen one and never even heard of one. Fantastic photo. I believe it means something that it appeared to you and also that you could share it here.
Sounds like I'll be trying to be in Humco at the end of February or early March for some motorcycle riding, (and maybe some recipe sampling at Raven Ridge Kitchen??!!), hope it works out. In the meantime, hope 2011 is very good to you and yours, every day of it and beyond.

Peace.

Simona said...

Wow, Christine: that's a gorgeous photo of an amazing natural event. I am also filling my eyes with the blue sky today.

Christine said...

Thank you all for your kind comments. I've not been attending my blogs lately, hence the very late acknowledgement. Be well.

Maki said...

Your world is very nice. The rainbow and the Buddha!^^
Why do you have the Buddha?

Christine said...

Thank you Maki. I think my world is beautiful too. ^^
Although I am not a very religious person, there are a few religious icons that I am drawn to: the Buddha and the Virgin Mary being two. I find them peaceful and serene, and they always make me smile.