Winter

Winter

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Our Backyard Chickens - Let Us Out!

Pin It

Okay, we've had our breakfast,
we've laid our eggs for cryin' out loud,
you promised we'd be free-range hens,
can we puh-leeze come out now?

And of course I did let them out, but these gals will lay eggs pretty much where ever they want and looking for them around the yard, under bushes, in the forest, is not my idea of fun. So they stay in their pen until egg laying is over for the day. Plus I get a hoot out of the way they "talk" to me when they want out. Such demanding girls.






Copyright © 2006-2009, Raven Ridge Gardens. All rights reserved.

4 comments:

anna maria said...

They are so pretty, your gals.
It seems like more and more people have chickens now. Even in San Francisco I believe it is permitted to have 3 chickens - no roosters of course!

Anonymous said...

LOL! I can imagine them talking to you. Trying to get you to let them out sooner. How do you know when it's time for them to lay their eggs? Do they do this once a day? In the mornings? What?

Paz

Christine said...

I had a rooster earlier this year, Anna Maria, and he got really testy with us humans, in that he would attack without provocation, so I gave him away. My hens are perfectly content without a man around to pester them. ;)

Well, Paz, it goes like this: the hens will get into their laying boxes, usually in the mornings, to lay their eggs. When an egg gets laid, the hen will cackle like crazy to let everyone in the whole wide world know what a great feat she has just performed. And when several at a time lay eggs, it's a cacophony not to be missed. THAT's when I know to go collect the eggs. Some hens will lay one egg per day, but usually they will lay every other day. They get lots of petting and praise for giving us eggs. Not sure if this eggs them on (I know, groan!) or not. :)

Anonymous said...

LOL! That WAS funny. ;-)

Very interesting about the hens and their eggs. Thanks for the explanation. ;-)

Paz