Winter

Winter

Monday, November 20, 2006

An Unseasonal Snake

Pin It

A common site in my summer garden, I was surprised to see this adult snake out in plain daylight today. After the rains begin (and they have, believe me), these guys usually hide out until the following spring. Maybe the rains caught him or her unawares like they did me this year. After doing my camera magic, I gently shooed said snake under a log. These snakes have never bothered us. They seem very docile and mostly just want to get away. I've tentatively identified them as Garter snakes, but none of the photos I've found on line really match them. If anyone knows more than I do about these critters, I'd love to hear from you.

1 comment:

Christine said...

Hi Anna Maria,
Well, much of it has to do with the fact that we live on the edge of forest land. It's really wild up here. Recently, a bear has been using our yard as a footpath to our neighbor's apple trees, by-passing ours for some mysterious reason.
The other reason I think we have so many critters is that we leave much of our property, away from the house of course, in its natural state. Logs and branches from the redwood trees remain where they fall as long as they're out of the way of traffic patterns. So there's quite a natural habitat here for the critters. And I love it that way!